Sunday, May 1, 2011

The death of a madman

On this night of May 1, my very first night away from home, and starting my new life in the city of my birth, America received news of the confirmed killing of Osama Bin Laden.  I wondered how today could get much better but with just 9 minutes left until midnight I am not sure what to do with myself. 

The President's speech was well delivered from beginning to end, and I am glad that I was not only alive, but awake and in front of the television from the moment the white house issued a 10 minute warning until a Presidential address at 10:30PM Sunday, until 11:48 when he walked away from the podium and the rain made the satellite go out.  This is yet another day that I will always remember where I was, whom I was with, and what I was doing.

September 11, 2001:  I was 14-years-old, sitting in my 9th great Earth Space Science class at the 9th grade center of West Orange High school, and then moved to my Algebra 1 class where we skipped all class work to watch the news.

The death of Micheal Jackson:  I was 22-years-old and sitting on my Aunt and Uncle's couch watching the news.

May 1, 2011:  I was again sitting on my Aunt and Uncle's couch, assisting with paperwork for the next day, watching the news.


All in all... this is going to be a hard day to beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment